Monday, October 14, 2013

Falling in love with Kathmandu

First day of the mission is done.. another 52 to go!

We are currently staying at the Hotel "Himalaya" in Kathmandu and going through initial training before being deployed to our Areas Of Responsibility (AoR).

I always like the days of training. Learning facts about the country and meeting new people is pretty exciting! Even though I dont feel like my usual social self, Im taking it easy and Im enjoying every minute.. I had a pretty good, relaxing day.. 

Nepal is such an INTERESTING country! It amazes me how they

keep traditions and still hold on to centuries-old beliefs.. it can be both good and bad I guess but it's something so foreign to the western culture.. They openly believe in fate, in good luck, in energy and spirituality whereas the only thing that we westerners believe in is money and our "mighty" self. I think I have a lot to learn here. The downside is that there's incredible corruption and lack of education..Crossing the street was a terrifying adventure and there is so much poverty. The people are truly amazing though, they smile all the time and they are polite and friendly. I look forward to leaving the hotel and going to the field.. This year the field really is the field..Im going to a really small place and I just hope the hotel is decent and I can find the basics.. I was spoilt in Kenya, staying in big cities, now it is village time!

Today I got a very small taste of Kathmandu, we walked around in "Thamel", the touristy area that is full of shops, restaurants and backpackers. It reminded me of Khaosan street in Bangkok, but even though it was extremely touristy, the Thamel area has a lot more character.. I found it so charming.. the tiny shops were full of amazing little things, buddha statues and jewelry, cashmere fabrics and pashminas.. Restaurants were mostly on the second floor, heads were picking from the large windows looking down to the street. Everything was colourful and buzzy. We sat in a small local place and ate momos, watching backpackers go by.  Im fascinated by the backpacker's culture. Young people who travel the world on a string. Arriving in a city, exploring everything that's written in the guidebook (sights, restaurants, bars, activities) and setting off again for the next destination. I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt, not sure I'd like to do it again that way.. or maybe I would.. It does get tiring after a while, but its so exciting. Maybe I would go for it, I just need the right company.

2 more days of training before heading to Bhairahawa for a stay of 6 weeks. I really want days to fly by, but I also want to live them and savor everything Nepal has to offer.. the kindness of its people, the rich flavor of its food and the amazing views of its natural environment..

I' ll be home for Christmas.. but in the meantime, Im loving Nepal!







No comments: